Becoming a Member of FUMC
Joining our church family is a step in your faith journey that leads to many others! On that journey, each step deepens your relationship with Jesus Christ as you respond by sharing your prayers, presence, gifts, service and witness. The journey is an amazing experience of growing inwardly and serving outwardly, all the while surrounded by the incredibly loving community that is Lenoir First United Methodist Church.
Contact the pastor, Linda Kelly, in the church office at 828-754-4922 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org for information about joining the church.
Which way will I join and what will I say?
You will join either by:
• Baptism and Profession of Faith,
• Reaffirmation of Faith,
• Transfer from another United Methodist Church, or
• Transfer from another denomination.
Baptism and Profession of Faith - Since baptism is part of membership, if you have not been baptized, it is normally done within the context of a service of worship with the congregation making a profession to care for you. You will then respond to the United Methodist questions of faith asked by the pastor.
Reaffirmation of Faith – This is usually chosen as a renewal of faith after a period of inactivity or of not being on a church roll elsewhere for some time. The United Methodist Church believes that baptism is a one-time occurrence; therefore, we recognize baptisms from other faiths. You will not be re-baptized. You will then respond to the United Methodist questions of faith asked by the pastor.
Transfer from another United Methodist Church or Transfer from another denomination - This is chosen when you are a member of another church (United Methodist or otherwise). Your baptism is recognized. You will not be re-baptized. You will then respond to the United Methodist questions of faith asked by the pastor.
Questions of Faith asked at the time you join:
• Do you wish to be a follower of Jesus Christ, claiming Him as your Lord and savior? Your Response: I Do.
• Do you receive and profess the Christian faith as contained in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments? Your Response: I Do.
• Will you make this your church family, allowing the people of this church to love and care for you, as together - we serve God with our prayers, presence, gifts, and service? Your Response: I Will.